Secondary Program – Academic Skills for the 21st Century
designed for students ages 12-17; student:teacher ratio of 10:1.
Secondary students focus on developing their reading comprehension, writing and oral language skills. ALI@AES follows the Teacher’s College Reading and Writing Project from Columbia University. ALI@AES Secondary Curriculum includes writing and reading genres such as personal narratives, memoirs, fantasy, expository text, and research based argument/opinion academic essays. The program also utilizes WIDA (World-Class Instructional Design and Assessment) focus on linguistic complexity, vocabulary usage and language control.
ALI Secondary Writing Institute Highlights
- Research and argument writing skills
- Goal setting to encourage independence, volume and craft
- Classroom structures that support inquiry and collaboration
ALI Secondary Reading Institute Highlights
- Comprehension strategy instruction
- Teaching interpretation, synthesis and critical reading
- Supporting cross-textual work in nonfiction
- Reading across the curriculum.